Monday, May 9, 2011

It Truly is the Little Things


I'm learning more and more it's the little things that count. It's the times you pause from the craziness, to take in life's joys. I was just talking to a friend this morning about it. It's easy to wish for bedtime to come, a baby to finally walk to make things easier, or summer to come to enjoy the outdoors. We are always looking forward to the next season in life. This is especially true in the trials of motherhood. Trust me girls, I am right there with you!

Today I decided to tackle the dressers and closets in order to "switch seasons". This is no easy undertaking. First I must empty and store the winter clothes and then pull out the spring and summer. Before I can put those clothes away they all need to be washed. Multiply this by seven people! I spent the entire day organizing, doing laundry (twelve loads, no joke), folding, and putting clothes away. It was not fun. I don't like housework. Who does?

The girls came in from playing outside and I cleaned them up for bed. I searched around for Elia's nuk. Finally, I found it shoved in the corner below her crib. We were down to one nuk. She only uses it at nap time and bedtime. It was on my list of things to do, but I didn't have a sense of urgency yet. Twice before I mentioned getting rid of the beloved nuk, but she was not having it.

Today, when I picked up the thing I noticed it was cracked and filled with nasty, bacteria ridden, spit. I suggested maybe we should throw it out because it was very yucky. She said OK. I was in shock. Really? Really? Let's see how far we can go with this. I told her how proud I was of her and that she could do the honor of throwing it in the garbage. She happily skipped to the can with a smile on her face and threw it out. I continued to praise her and tell her what a big girl she was. I also told her we would go to the store and pick out a big girl surprise for making the decision. She was thrilled. Her precious little face could not contain the excitement.

I put her back into bed and she told her sister the entire story, word for word. She told Grace, and grandma, and daddy, and the boys, and Grace again.

It truly is the little things.

1 comment:

  1. I totally feel ya on this one! The dreaded changing of seasons clothing swap. Nope, not fun. But wow! She got rid of the nuk like that? Here's to praying Abby does that with her bottle! lol

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you!